Second Grade Curriculum
Trophies by Harcourt: harcourtschool.com (Beck, Farr, Strickland)
- Assigned Guided Reading from basal reader, the students will read a story a week that will focus on a reading skill.
- Book-it – used to encourage independent reading outside of school and for reading practice.
- Independent Reading – the student will have time each day to read a book of choice silently.
Trophies by Harcourt
- Spelling words will be sent home on Fridays and again on Mondays. The test will be given on the last day of each week, usually Fridays.
Trophies by Harcourt
- A grammar skill will be taught each week (sentences, nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and punctuation).
- Writing in journals to assigned prompts.
- The students are taught D’Nealian style handwriting. The students will learn to print correctly and be introduced to cursive at the end of second grade.
- The students will be assigned daily handwriting practice as homework.
Work Together by Houghton Mifflin
- U.S. History – The students begin with the discovery of the Americas and on to the formation of the United States. They will learn about the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, as well as westward expansion and immigration.
- Geography – The students will learn the seven continents and five oceans (Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern and Arctic). The students will study earth’s landforms and how to read a map.
- Government – The students will learn about local, state and federal government leaders. We will study the importance of laws and voting. They will learn U.S. symbols and their meanings.
- Throughout the year, students will learn U.S. holidays and the history behind them.
Harcourt Math by Harcourt harcourtschool.com (Roby, Burton, Newman, Luckie andBennett)
- Addition and subtraction – to the sum of 18
- Counting to 100 by tens, fives, and ones
- Place value and number sense
- Two digit addition and subtraction with and without regrouping (carrying and borrowing)
- Word problems – these will be taught throughout the year and will be apart of each skill listed above
Foss Kits by Full Option Science System
- Fall – Earth Science – Pebbles, Sand and Silt
- Winter – Life Science – Insects
- Spring – Physical Science – Balance & Motion
Science by Harcourt School Publishers – this textbook will be used along with the Foss Kits.
Teacher created activities – Students will complete art or craft projects
GRADING SCALE FOR DAILY ASSIGNMENTS
VG – Very Good
G – Good
S – Satisfactory
I – Needs Improvement
HD – Having Difficulty
* These subjects are taught in the mornings by the student’s reading teacher.